Cauliflower can not only be steamed but also smoked and grilled. This time we grilled cauliflower as a steak. A great way to do something different with cauliflower. It is an excellent vegetarian dish without the bacon and will make even the most stubborn carnivore happy.
You can cut 2 good steaks from 1 cauliflower. The rest of the cauliflower then falls apart in florets because there is no longer a stem. We don’t throw away these loose florets, but we grill them separately. We rub the cauliflower steaks on one side with olive oil and honey before going on the grill.
Brush the other side when they are on the grates. After that, it is a matter of waiting until the bottom gets a lovely colour. And black is not a lovely colour.
After flipping the cauliflower, sprinkle the steaks with grated cheese and fried bacon bits. You can use any cheese you want as long as it melts nicely. In this case, we use Gruyere for the melting and the slightly salty taste. The rest of the salt is in the fried bacon. If you keep the cauliflower steaks vegetarian, you can use a more salted cheese like Pecorino or Parmesan.
After about 2 times 10 minutes, you will have 2 beautiful cauliflower steaks. These are grilled all dente but just leave them a little longer if you want them a little softer.
If you are going to try these cauliflower steaks, let us know in the comments below. Or better! Take a photo and post it on Instagram. Tag @bbq.heroes so we can see what you made.
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- Grated Gruyere cheese
- chilli flakes
- fried bacon bits
- Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower and cut the bottom straight so that the cauliflower can stand upright.
- Cut the cauliflower in half and then slice about 2 cm thick from each part. Break the other pieces into florets.
- Mix the olive oil and honey and brush the cauliflower steaks on one side.
- Prepare your grill with a direct temperature of about 180ºC (356F). Place the steaks on the grill with the greased side down. Then grease the other side and close the lid.
- Grill the cauliflower steak until the bottom gets a nice grill colour without being burnt. Then flip the steaks.
- Sprinkle the steaks with the grated cheese, chilli flakes and fried bacon bits and leave them until the cauliflower is al dente and the cheese has melted.