We don’t serve a lot of vegetarian dishes on BBQ Heroes. We do have a lot of dishes that are almost vegetarian. These recipes are easy to adapt, so that they are 100% vegetarian.
You don’t have to adjust anything to these carrot dogs. They are already absolutely perfect, even for carnivorous BBQ-Heroes.
It is crucial to get the carrots about the same thickness. Then they cook the same. For esthetic purposes, it’s nice to have them the same length.
We are going to pre-boil the carrots in stock. If you want, you can put the pan on the grill. We put it on the stove. The goal is for the carrots to be just al dente. No further, otherwise they are too soft.
After we boiled them, we can grill them. We use the cast iron grill grates to get some excellent grill marks. This way, the carrots immediately look a lot better. While the carrots are getting a nice colour, we briefly toast the buns on the grill plate next to it.
These are our carrot dogs. We serve them with a good scoop of zhug and some fried onions. Now it is seriously a delicious sandwich. If you are going to make them, let us know in the comments below. Or better! Take a photo and post it on Instagram. Tag @bbq.heroes so we can see what you made.
- 4 medium-sized carrots
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- olive oil
- 4 hot dog buns
- zhug sauce
- baked onions
- Cut the carrots the same size as the buns. And then try to get them all the same thickness with, for example, a cheese slicer.
- Pour the stock, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and honey in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Boil the carrots in the stock for about 15 minutes until al dente. Then let them cool.
- Start your grill for direct heat. Brush the carrots with a bit of olive oil, and then grill them on all sides until they have nice grill marks.
- Toast the buns briefly and serve the carrot hot dogs with whatever you like.