A basic recipe for herbed butter is indispensable with a tasty piece of meat or asparagus. At every Dutch barbecue party, it is on the table with a bowl of bread. Before the meat is on the table, the herbed butter is long gone.
Herbed butter is also a recipe that you can experiment with. Start with the simplest version, and then try with your spice mix or dry rub.
There are countless recipes for herbed butter, but they start the same with butter and garlic. Then you choose your herbs. We made this one with only flat parsley, but you can, of course, make it as crazy or tasty as you want. Just make sure that on 250 grams of butter, you need about 4 heaped tablespoons of fresh fine cut herbs.
Before you start mixing the butter, it is helpful to let the butter come to room temperature first. That really makes mixing a lot easier.
Of course, you can keep the butter covered in the fridge, but if you make a kind of sausage out of it, you can cut off a piece and put the rest back neatly. Because who uses 250 grams of herbed butter in one go?
This is a BBQ variant of herbed butter. We used a dry rub and then did not use 4 full tablespoons but at most 2 tablespoons. This is more than enough because dried herbs are often a lot more concentrated in terms of taste. We threw in some flat-leaf parsley for colour, mustard and some lemon juice.
- 250 grams of butter, preferably unsalted
- Freshly ground sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic on 250 grams of butter
For an Italian herb butter
- A mix of oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme. 4 large tbsp finely chopped
For a bbq version
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Let the butter come to room temperature and loosen the butter with a fork in a bowl.
- Cut the leaves or needles from the herbs, not the stems. They are bitter. Finely chop all the herbs and garlic and mix them with the butter.
- Roll the mixed butter in a piece of plastic wrap.
- Store the herbed butter in the refrigerator.