Fall isn’t the time to clean up your barbecue until spring. This season invites you to warm yourself at the grill. And if you do it’s a good idea to put something in it.
We grilled a lot of vegetables that are at their best in the fall, such as corn, carrots, onions and sweet potato. You can supplement the list yourself with whatever you like.
Grilled vegetables are, of course, delicious, but we really love them with a piece of meat next to them. We smoked some sausages with a chunk of cherry wood. You leave the sausages for an hour at 140ºC (284F) until they are dark red. This makes every sausage even tastier.
First, we cut the vegetables into almost equal pieces to be grilled more quickly, and they are cooked at about the same time. We briefly cook the harder vegetables such as potatoes, carrots and root parsley before grilling them with the rest of the veggies. Grilling the vegetables only ensures that all vegetables get a nice grill colour.
The bright colour is of course not only for looks. Due to the rapid heating, you caramelize the natural sugars, making the vegetables slightly sweeter.
We convert the Kamado Joe for indirect heating when the grilling is finished. We place the platesetters and close the lower and upper air vents until the temperature in the kettle is about 200ºC (392F).
We cut the sausages into three parts and sprinkled a mixture of Italian herbs, olive oil and apple cider vinegar over the vegetables. We throw everything in a baking tray. Then everything goes back into the barbecue to continue cooking until the vegetables have softened. This takes at most half an hour. If it takes a little longer before you sit at the table, lower the temperature a little more.
So these are our grilled autumn vegetables. Serve them with the sausage or another excellent piece of meat and a few potatoes, and you have a feast. If you will make these grilled vegetables, let us know in the comments below. Or better! Take a photo and post it on Instagram. Tag @bbq.heroes so we can see what you made.
- 2 red onions
- 10 mini sweet bell peppers
- 1 zucchini
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 root parsley
- 2 corn on the cob
- olive oil
- pepper and salt
- 20 grams of fresh Italian herbs such as oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- pepper and salt.
- Peel the red onions. Cut them into quarters but leave the bottom on so they don’t fall apart. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds and stems.
- Cut the zucchini into pieces of about 10 cm and then into strips. Cut thick fries from the sweet potato.
- Cut the corn on the cob into three pieces. Cut the carrot and the root parsley into equal parts.
- Boil the carrot, parsley root and sweet potato for 10 minutes in boiling water until they are al dente
- Brush the vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the vegetables briefly on the grates until you see grill marks all over.
- Finely chop Italian herbs and stir them through 3 tbsp olive oil, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and some salt and pepper. Pour this over the grilled vegetables and toss everything in a baking dish. Continue cooking at 200ºC (392F) until the vegetables are soft enough.