Zhug is an Arabic hot sauce. It is also spelt as zhoug, zhoeg or zhoek. It’s a mildly spicy sauce with cilantro as a base. If you are not a fan of cilantro, then this sauce is not for you. You have different variants and colours, and you can compare it to chimichurri.
This zhug is a green variant with green peppers. These can be found in every supermarket these days. We used 2 peppers, but you can make the zhug as hot as you want. With more or fewer peppers, the sauce becomes more or less hot but not significantly different in taste.
This zhug goes very well with a nice steak, on a hamburger or a cheese sandwich. Grilled vegetables also taste better with a spoon off zhug. If you are going to make this zhug let us know in the comments below. Or better! Take a photo and post it on Instagram. Tag @bbq.heroes so we can see what you made.
- 2 green peppers
- A handful of fresh cilantro
- A handful of fresh flat parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- coarse salt to taste
- pinch of dried cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Cut the peppers, cilantro, parsley and garlic a bit smaller.
- Put everything in a blender and add the salt, cumin and lemon juice. Grind this to a thick sauce.
- Add the olive oil and mix to desired thickness.
- The zhug will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator. But it’s gone before you know it.