A relish is a chutney-like sauce widely used in America to spice up hot dogs. We love it on a thick hamburger or with a beef stew.
These are our ingredients for the pickle relish. You can adjust the proportions to make the relish spicier, more acidic or less sour. We like the thick sauce to have a bit of kick, so we put a red jalapeño in this sauce.
Try to cut the pickles, onion and pepper to about the same size. That is nicer and gives a better mouthfeel. We sauté the onion until it is translucent and then toss in the rest. Just cook it briefly, or everything will become too soft, and you will make a chutney.
This is our pickle relish. We have made a few thick burgers even tastier with it. If you will make this relish too, let us know in a comment below. Or better! Could you take a photo and post it on Instagram? Tag @bbqhelden so we can see what it looks like.
- 4 large or 6 small pickles
- Half a white onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 tbsp mustard seed whole
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Cut the onion, jalapeno pepper and pickles into small cubes of the same size
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onions until translucent.
- Add the mustard seeds and capers. Mix the water and cornflour separately in a bowl and add this too.
- Stir in the sugar and vinegar until the sugar has melted.
- Add the pickles and jalapeño, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Finely chop the parsley, mix it with the relish, and let it cool.