This recipe for tzatziki is certainly not too difficult and a hit at any barbecue party. Do not serve it too early because if there is bread nearby, it is finished before the lamb chops are on the table.
These are all ingredients for a “real” Greek tzatziki. In which the garlic naturally plays the leading role. We have an important supporting role for the honey that makes this tzatziki really special.
You make tzatziki from yogurt. And preferably from thick yogurt. Nowadays, you have Greek-style yogurt in every supermarket that is ideal for tzatziki.
Grate the cucumber and drain well. This way, the tzatziki doesn’t get too wet. You can also wrap the grated cucumber in a clean tea towel and squeeze it.
With some zest of lemon and fresh dill, you can make excellent fresh tzatziki. The olive oil makes it creamy.
We knew that there were many different types of honey, but we did not realize that they could be so different. We use this summer honey, which has a mild mint flavor that is absolutely perfect for this tzatziki.
This tzatziki should be on the table at any barbecue party but, of course, works best with a table full of Greek dishes.
- 250 grs Greek-style yogurt (1 cup)
- half a cucumber
- 1 handfull fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic (or 4)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the Greek yogurt in a large bowl
- Grate the cucumber, drain, and add to the yogurt.
- Grate the garlic cloves and lemon zest for the zest and add this as well.
- Stir the red wine vinegar and garlic oil into the tzatziki
- Chop the dill, and then you can also add it
- Season with a little salt and pepper and then pour in the honey