Although the base of this sauce is ketchup, the dark chocolate and the ginger syrup give this barbecue sauce something special. The sauce has a very rich taste without immediately tasting the chocolate. It is somewhere in the distance and comes later.
This sauce goes well with bacon or spare ribs. You can adjust the sauce to your taste by making it sweeter or spicier.
For this chocolate sauce, we use dark chocolate. As dark as you can find it. Don’t be afraid that this sauce will become too bitter. The brown sugar, sweet soy sauce and ginger make the sauce rather sweet.
Like almost any barbecue sauce, this sauce is also incredibly easy to make. Pour everything into a saucepan and let it come to a gentle simmer. Be careful not to let the sauce get too hot. Then the sugars will burn, and the sauce becomes bitter.
This is our chocolate barbecue sauce. We tried the sauce on the spare ribs, and it is delicious. If you will make this chocolate barbecue sauce, let us know in the comments below. Or better! Take a photo and post it on Instagram. Tag @bbq.heroes so we can see what you made.
- 250 ml ketchup
- 70 ml sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 50 grams of brown sugar
- a large tsp Tabasco
- 25 g dark chocolate. 70% or higher.
- 2 tbsp ginger syrup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Place all ingredients in a pan and let it slowly come to temperature.
- Cook the sauce over medium heat until the chocolate has melted and the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
- You can keep the sauce sealed in the refrigerator for a week or two.