Homemade bbq sauce is already much tastier than most ready-made sauces, but this bbq sauce with blueberries is fantastic. This sauce tastes perfect with pork such as ham, spare ribs, and grilled chicken.
This blueberry bbq sauce is super easy to make. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and let it heat gently. The hardest part is waiting for the blueberries to burst open and the sauce to thicken. Then all you have to do is put it in a blender. We use smoked sea salt and smoked paprika to give the sauce a little smoky flavour that it could use.
If you can’t find fresh blueberries, you can use frozen ones. This works just as well. You must thaw and drain them before throwing them in the pan. Otherwise, the liquids will take much longer to boil down enough to resemble a sauce.
This is our blueberry bbq sauce. Spread it on a few thick spare ribs or a ham sandwich. If you will make the sauce, let us know in the comments below. Or better! Could you take a photo and post it on Instagram? Tag @bbqhelden so we can see what you made.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 400 grams blueberries
- 4 tbsp syrup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chop the onion and garlic cloves very finely.
- Put the olive oil in a pan and heat it gently with the onion and garlic.
- When the onion has become soft, the rest of the ingredients can be added and let everything cook gently.
- Remove the pan from the heat when the sauce has thickened enough, so it sticks to the back of a spoon.
- Let it cool, and run it through the blender to make an even sauce.