Grilled mackerel is on the menu at many Japanese restaurants. Then it is called Saba Shioyaki. It is very easy to prepare, and it tastes really delicious. We do not follow the traditional Japanese recipe but have made a version with Indonesian Ketjap.
We have bought fresh mackerel, but you can also get excellent mackerel fillets. Make sure they still have the skin.
We cut the mackerel into pieces and skewer them. Then sprinkle a little salt on it. The salt provides extra flavor and makes the meat a bit firmer. Do not let the salt stand for too long, or the fish will lose its structure, and that is not the intention. Half an hour is enough.
Then grill the mackerel. First skin down until you see the sides turn gray, and the skin comes loose off the grid. Turn them over and cook the other side briefly.
Turn them over again and coat them with the sweet soy sauce. When the meat is just no longer transparent, the mackerel is cooked. Brush the fish once more with the sauce and serve while still warm.
- 400 gram mackerel filet
- 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Cut the mackerel fillets into pieces of about 5 cm without removing the skin. Thread them on skewers and sprinkle a little bit of salt on the meat side.
- Start a barbecue to grill and mix the soy sauce, cayenne pepper, and the sugar.
- Grill the mackerel first on the skin side and then briefly on the meat side.
- Turn the mackerel over again and spread the soy sauce over the meat. Wait until the sauce has thickened a bit and then sauce again just before serving.