Panzanella is the perfect way to get rid of that old bread. Throw in some ripe tomatoes and whatever vegetables you have left in the fridge, and you really put something delicious on the table. The dry bread absorbs all the juices from the vegetables, and the earlier you make it, the better the flavors will be.
You can throw anything you want in this bread salad. But always use tomatoes. And bread, of course. But try it with asparagus, grilled fish, or olives.
First, we cut the tomatoes in half and sprinkle them with a little salt. Mix well and let this stand for a while. After fifteen minutes, you notice a bottom of tomato juice in the bowl.
You use this juice as a base. A little olive oil, mustard, and ground black pepper make a delicious salad dressing.
You cut your bread into cubes and toast in a pan with a little olive oil. The older your bread is, the faster this goes. If you see green spots on your bread, you just throw it away, of course.
Then we grill the chicken. Of course, we use chicken thigh because it is so much tastier than chicken fillet. If you prefer to use chicken fillet, season it well and grill it no further than 70°C (158F). A higher core temperature ensures dry chicken. We like to use a Thermapen to check.
After that, you simply throw everything together and pour the dressing over it. You can do this a few hours in advance. The bread will suck up the dressing and make it even better.
- Old bread. White or brown. Just what you like.
- 2 large tomatoes or a box of small cherry tomatoes.
- Chicken thighs
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- pepper and salt
- Cut the bread into cubes of about 2 cm and roast them with a little olive oil to make croutons.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, put them in a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt. Leave this on for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chicken with a little salt and grill on both sides.
- Now remove the tomatoes from the bowl and turn the juice that remains into a dressing by adding a tablespoon of olive oil, mustard, grated garlic, lemon juice, and a little freshly ground pepper.
- Slice the rest of the ingredients and mix everything together well.