Sometimes you see something on social media that you actually wanted to make up yourself. On Instagram, we saw the pizza twister. That looked so tasty that we wanted to make it ourselves very quickly.
Our hot bbq pizza twister has become a bit spicier with the sriracha and the jalapeño pepper. Don’t worry, it is just a bit hotter.
This is our setup when we bake pizza. The point is that this way, the pizza stone is protected by the plate setter. And the pizza stone is placed higher to get as much heat from the lid as possible. This way, the pizza is cooked equally from above and below.
We go for a temperature of about 300 to 350°C. Because a plate setter is placed, the flow of oxygen will be slightly impeded. To solve this, remove the entire top vent so that you get a chimney effect that allows the heat to rise higher.
Divide your pizza dough into 3 equal parts and roll balls. Then turn them into 3 strips of the same length with a roller pin. The pieces may become shorter because they are elastic. Just let the dough relax a bit and start on the next strip.
Make sure there is enough flour on your worktop so that the strips do not stick. You top the pieces with the sauce, minced meat, onion, jalapeño, and the Parmesan cheese. Then fold the dough so that it’s closed.
If you notice that the dough still sticks, you sprinkle some extra flour under the dough strips in those places. The better the pieces are closed, the easier it will be to weave later.
The last time we braided was in elementary school. So this is a 3 strip braid. If this does not work, you can make a beautiful knot. That does not matter for the taste. Now connect the front and end so that it becomes a circle. Brush a little olive oil over the dough and sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese.
Now the pizza twister goes on the barbecue. We do not use baking paper with a real pizza. In this case, because the pizza twister is massive and we want to keep the circle intact, we do. Try to get the pizza twister in the center of the pizza stone as much as possible.
After about twenty minutes, you look through the hole of the top vent to see how far the pizza is. If it is golden brown, the pizza can be taken off.
Let the hot bbq pizza twister cool down before cutting into it. Buon Appetito.
For the dough
- 300 grams of flour
- 180 grams of water
- 7 grams of salt
- 5 grams of dry yeast. Or 15 grams of fresh yeast
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 200 grams of ground beef
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of spicy steak rub
- half red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 100 grams of Parmesan cheese
- 200 grams of tomato pulp
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha
- Make the dough a day earlier by kneading everything well. The dough should just stop sticking to your work surface or bowl. Now cover the bowl with some cling film and let the dough rise in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, divide the dough into 3 equal balls and let it rise again for 2 hours while you heat the barbecue.
- While the barbecue is warming up, you can cook the meat. Add a little olive oil to the pan and a grated clove of garlic while the pan is still cold.
- When the oil is warm, you can add the minced meat and the dry rub. Roll the minced beef until cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and convert the barbecue into a pizza oven, as described above.
- Roll out the dough into 3 equal long strips. Mix the tomato pulp with the sriracha. Fill the dough with the sauce, minced meat, onion, jalapeño, and Parmesan cheese.
- Fold the strips closed and weave into 1 beautiful, or slightly less beautiful, knot. Then connect front and end to a make a round pizza twister.
- Cut a piece of baking paper slightly larger than the pizza twister and slide the pizza twister on. Spread some olive oil over the dough and sprinkle it with some extra cheese.
- Meanwhile, the barbecue is at the right temperature, and the pizza twister is allowed to go on the pizza stone. The pizza twister is ready when the dough is nice and golden brown.