These are not the short ribs that we make more often. These Korean short ribs, which are also very popular in America, are cross-sawn. The result is a thinner strip of meat, about 2 fingers thick, with short pieces of bone.
These are flank style short ribs. Cross-sawn short ribs that are perfect for grilling. We do go for good quality meat with enough intramuscular fat. Those are the thin lines of fat in the meat.
We can actually be very brief about it. If you want a good end result, you have to start well. You can still have such a nice grill, but if you don’t start with good meat, it will never be great barbecue.
Keep 1/4 of the marinade aside. That is the baste that you will use to brush on the meat. Do not use the marinade that the meat has been in. Throw that away.
This marinade is also delicious for your pork or chicken satay.
Make 2 zones in your grill and cook the meat both sides to a core temperature of 55°C (130F). That is medium-rare, and it is only possible because the quality of the beef is excellent. If it goes too hard and the marinade threatens to burn, move the ribs to the other zone.
In the last few minutes, brush the short ribs with the baste you have been holding back. This makes the meat shiny and sticky.
- 1 kilo flank style short ribs
For the marinade and baste
- 100 ml of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 chilies, cut into pieces without the seeds.
- Mix everything for the marinade in a bowl
- Place ¾ of the marinade in a plastic bag with the ribs and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, ideally overnight. You keep the other part for the baste.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade and remove the excess marinade. Pat the ribs dry with a paper towel.
- Grill the ribs to medium-rare for about 6 minutes per side to a core temperature of 55°C (130F).
- The last minute, brush the bark over the ribs and turn them over one more time.
- Let the short ribs rest for 5 minutes.