We made this apple syrup bbq sauce for our roasted spareribs, but the sauce also tastes great over a grilled pork chop or a kilo of chicken wings.
The sauce is made with appel stroop. That’s a sort of molasses made with apples. In the Netherlands, stroop is mostly eaten as a spread on bread. These spare ribs are nice and sweet and get a nice kick due to the chilli pepper and chipotle.
- 200 ml of ketchup
- 200 grams of appel stroop
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chipotle
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic granulate
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Take a saucepan and add the ketchup, apple syrup, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Bring this to a gentle boil while stirring so that the apple syrup mixes well.
- Then add the brown sugar, chipotle, cinnamon and the garlic granulate.
- Let the sauce simmer slightly until the sugar has melted and dissolved.